Thursday, October 1, 2009

Planner= Life

So this week I really enjoyed reading the monochronic and polychronic time classifications. I was also confused because there seem to be blurred things. For instance, I myself cannot be classified as one or the other. I have tendencies and characteristics of both. I consider family important and will try to not plan anything that conflicts with that, or also when we have family events I try my best to make sure I am home for them, etc. Yet I guess in using the word "try" it would seem as if I lean more towards the monochronic tendenices because I plan to make them not conflict, whereas most p-time users would not allow any conflicts. It is to this point that I see my planner as my life. I have multiple activities going on, usually one right after the other and today in class looking at the board and list of possible activities I maybe didn't have one on there. I have to plan everything because of the multiple activities I am involved in and I also highly respect the times in which they take place. If one was to start late or run late it would ruint he amount of time I could say and shorten it or threaten the time I arrived at the next event. I schedule eating times, lunch dates, regular dates, study time, and even nap time some days.
Then to another point we discussed in class of non verbal communication, I feel like it is an inescapable part of culture and defintiely, myself as an individual. Considering the excercise in class of story telling, I know I could not tell a story for a second without using some type of communication. And as one classmate pointed out, a woman in her car tlaking on the phone nad still using her hands, that is me. I walk on the phone and make me facial expressions still. I use my hands constantly, raise my eyebrows, twist my lips, change my posture and even now as I am thinking of more things to put on the list I am bitting the inside of my lip, contoring my face to it's "thinking position". So it is very difficult for me to imagine not using non verbal communication in everyday conversation, as well as a tool for understanding people's underlying emotions and conveying my own.
This is why, I would have to say the greatest non verbal tool is silence. It is perfect because it can apply to a variety of situations and still nto lose the meaning it is intending. Silence can be an indication of intense thought/ study, a hint of disdain or anger, it can be a moment of embarassment, etc. And to date I must say I liked this week's conversation the best because it was interactive and more relatable than soem of the other issues, again bringing up the universality of communication forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment