Thursday, September 24, 2009

Language as a "Homewrecker"

In M&N and in class today we were taking about the different functions of language and one that was brought up was language as a "prison house". I have decided to take a different approach and call language a home-wrecker. Now I am not saying that all language is negative in this sense, but in my experience language is such a sensitive issue that if it isn't addressed properly things can go wrong or things can be prevented. For instance, I spoke of my heritage as an Italian -American and how that meant certain aspects of my life were determined for me already, like Sunday afternoons at nonna's house. Now although that may seem as if that would foster a close relationship between my nonna and I, that is false. In fact it was the language of our common heritage that kept us apart. For one she never learned English, and tried here and there to speak a few words. I was never spoken to in Italian by my father because he though it was difficult learning English as a second language, so he didn't want to impose that on his children. But where that left me was betweena rock and a hard place because I could never have one on one conversations with my nonna. It was not until I got older and learned Italian that I could understand her better and even then her dialect was so different from the uniform Italian language we still to this day do not have as close of a relationship as I would like.
Language is also a homwrecker in the sense of generational differences between parents and chidlren. Sometimes things are said in a non chalanct manner by kids and taken more seriously by adults insighting a fight or disagreement. And the fact that kids have there own language for there peers, leaves their parents in the dark and puts a gap between them communication wise.
Due to the complexity of language messages can be missed between cultures of different context and cause issues. Also in the sense of institutions or instructions, there can only be so many languages displayed so the ones that are chosen, leave out others and create a sense of un importance. So basically although language can be helpful at times, most of the time becuase it is not uniform, there are more hardships that arise from it.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting… I think it makes a really good argument for the connection between identity and language (in the case of your nonna) and how you have a distinct language and therefore identity from her. So I can understand why language in that case would be a ‘homewreker’. But as for the generational differences in language, I don’t think that can be a homewreker simply because it is a uniform evolution of the language. Every generation has its own vocabulary style and so in my mind it’s not a case of misunderstanding the language involved, any homewreking in this case is simply parent-child conflict.

    ReplyDelete