Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Epic Battle Between Universalism and Relativism

In class the other day, I couldn't believe how heated the debate became over the concepts of universalism and relativism within the world of ethics. 
I've thought about these views many times before and have firmly grounded myself in the belief of relativism. I do believe ethics and moral practices are relevant to the culture within which they are practiced, but at the same time, I believe that it is basic human nature to know the difference between right and wrong, creating some sort of parallel within all cultures. In my opinion, it is not our place to interfere with other cultures just because we are shockingly disgusted at what they consider normal. 
However, someone brought up an interesting point that I have never thought about before. One young lady (I'm sorry, I can't remember names at this point in time) asked something along the lines of, "Well, what if it [meaning an ethical issue that you find disturbing and disgusting] was happening within your own culture? Would you intervene then?" To be quite honest, I don't know.
Please keep in mind the fact that I don't mean for this blog to become a heated debate over the very sensitive subject of abortion, but because I have experience with this issue, I'm going to use it merely for demonstrative purposes
For about four years, I have been journeying to Washington, D.C. on January 22 with about one hundred other girls from my high school to walk in the March for Life (I chose American University partially for this reason! ). As you may have guessed, I am pro-life and proud of it.  I find the practice appalling and quite disturbing, and I will peacefully fight for the right of every human life. I guess some would call this intervening, but honestly, I think that if someone is pro-choice, they're going to ignore the march all together, blocking out all "intervention". However, I would never go and bomb an abortion clinic or hold back a woman from walking into the building. That goes beyond my right as a human. Everyone has free will and the abilities to make their own judgments. Let them use it. 
After reflecting, I guess I would say that I'm still firmly grounded in the belief of relativism. I don't believe in interfering in another culture (even your own) just because your ethical and moral standards don't match up with someone else's. Tolerance and respect are the key points to a united world, and without them, we, as a community of nations, are taking giant steps backward instead of forward. 

*Disclaimer: I'm not intending to make anyone think the way that I do. Feel free to share your opinions civilly, and know that they will be considered and respected. Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cara and Olivia,

    This may not be as deep or profound as everything both of you said but I am interested in the topic and thought I would add my two cents.

    When discussing relativism, are you referring to the belief that other cultures' sense of morality and ethics are just as "right" and justified as your own? Or are you suggesting that, while other cultures may be wrong, you don't have the right to interfere with their practices?

    When talking about the Holocaust, it is a clear cut case of being involved in another culture, so whatever opinion you may have is an opinion on a completely different culture. What about when "culture" becomes more hazy?

    Are the gangs in the United States considered a separate culture with different values and beliefs which also ought to be accepted? Should we keep the police from interfering in murder cases because, according the relativist principles, that is a part of the "gang culture"?

    What about pedophiles? or the Ku Klux Klan? I just have to question where we draw the line for respecting the cultures of other people and when it becomes the business of the public at large.

    Just like Olivia, I hope this isn't viewed as an attack on anyone. This is also just a collection of my random thoughts and the questions I have about relativism.

    ReplyDelete