Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Is language really a "jailhouse?"

My former roommate, Amber, is from Shanghai. She speaks very broken English (but she's doing really well picking up certain idioms, expanding her vocabulary, etc. Brava, Amber!). When she and I first began to speak via e-mail, as a literature major, I cringed at almost every verb she wrote. I knew it was going to be difficult speaking to her, and, with my use of the English language, she had a very hard time understanding me. It went back and forth for a few weeks until finally, we discovered that we both speak French. We started conversing in this shared language, and we were able to understand each other so much better. Even to this day, when we just can't understand each other, we slip into French and have one of those long-awaited "aha!" moments.

I guess you could say that language has its pros and cons. If we both spoke Mandarin or English, we would be doing perfectly fine! However, I've never spoken a word of Mandarin in my life, and as previously stated, she is still advancing her English speaking skills. We wouldn't have to go into a five to twenty minute explanation of what the curtain is or why we sleep in/under sheets. However, without the mutual knowledge of the French language, we wouldn't have been able to converse at all.  Language certainly does bring people of a culture (and, as demonstrated, different cultures) together, and it most definitely drives people apart when there is the chance for miscommunication. 

So, is language a "jailhouse" as someone termed it in last Thursday's class? I don't think so entirely, but I am fully aware (and certainly Amber is, too) that a difference in language presents an extraordinary problem that, unless we are well equipped with knowledge of other languages, is very difficult to mediate. 

Do you think language is a "jailhouse?" Je voudrais lire vos rĂ©ponses!  Bises!

1 comment: