Tuesday, November 3, 2009

International Popular Culture

Pop culture is everywhere. Quite literally, one cannot escape it. Every time we walk into a supermarket, there are tabloids and magazines with headlines that seem to be screaming, "Is Jennifer Anniston really happy?" or "Kristen and Robert's wedding!" However, it seems that the American culture is obsessed with only American culture. 
For instance, one of my favorite singers is Jamie Cullum, a fabulous British jazz singer. Whenever I mention him, people always look at me as if I were crazy. "Who is that?" they ask. No one knows his work or anything about him. Unfortunately, this is because the United States seem to be impervious to foreign culture's attempts to penetrate "the scene." Sure, a few people could sing along to the Jamie Cullum originals, or even quote a French movie, but the majority of the population is obsessed about what "our" stars are doing. 
I believe that is why the video portraying the Korean Wave stars so important. For years, I have been trying to introduce the international culture that I have experienced in my years of travel and study to others. It seems as if it's an almost impossible task, but the odd thing is, we never think about this task unless we are forced. How often do you sit in your dorm, thinking, "What new Korean song can I listen to today?" This oblivion is the thing I believe we must destroy to make a more unified and culturally-friendly world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment